The Junior League of Columbus was founded in 1923. From its original 11 founding members, led by our first JLC President, Mrs. Rolland M. Edmonds, the Junior League of Columbus has grown to nearly 400+ members today. Since 1923, the Junior League of Columbus has been actively improving our community and training volunteers who make a difference in the lives of others.
Junior League of Columbus Legacy of Community Impact
Did you know the JLC has provided more than 95 years of community service in Central Ohio?
Since its establishment in 1923, the Junior League of Columbus has:
1926 – Embarked on its first project by hiring an occupational therapist to equip members to teach patients at Children’s and Grant hospitals and the Third Street School of Crippled Children basket weaving, rug hooking and leather tooling skills.
1926 – Initiated children’s theater production fundraisers, which later become the Community Junior Theater.
1931 – Initiated the Columbus-At-Work campaign in which members went door-to-door soliciting work for those who had become unemployed during the depression.
1936 – Organized the Central Volunteer Service Bureau, the basis for today’s FIRSTLINK.
1937 – Expanded its children’s theater to a trouping group that gave approximately 30 performances annually at various schools.
1942 – Launched the Columbus Victory Corner, a League committee that sold War Savings Stamps and Bonds to support the war effort.
1943 – Donated $2,350 to the American Red Cross to purchase a Mobile Blood Donor Unit.
1943 – Established a War Emergency Committee to coordinate blood drives, rationing promotions, clothing drives, and a victory parade.
1944 – Started Community Junior Theater.
1945 – Sponsored the children’s series, “Books Bring Adventure,” on WOSU radio.
1949 – Held the first Bargain Box fundraiser.
1950 – Founded the Children’s Mental Health Center with financial and volunteer support.
1955 – Donated $12,200 to Children’s Hospital to equip a surgical room for tonsillectomies.
1958 – Introduced a new fundraiser, the Sheram Puppet Project, to expand the imagination of school children, hospitalized youngsters, and children with physical disabilities.
1962 – Donated $4,000 to establish the Arts Council.
1963 – Gave $16,000 to purchase the Transparent Talking Woman, an educational display at COSI.
1963 – Gave $36,000 to the Family Centered Program of the United Community Council and affiliated agencies.
1965 – Began a $5,000annual, three-year donation to establish the Columbus Area Information Center, known today as CRIS.
1969 – Donated $30,000 to launch the Blackburn Day Care and Training Program for needy families.
1971 – Gave $10,000 to COSI for a Life Science Drug Education Exhibition.
1972 – Contributed $4,000 to the Community Coordinated Child Care “4-C” program, now known as Action for Children, a childcare advocacy, resource and referral agency.
1976 – Acquired the Kelton House and accompanying properties and made commitments for restoration and fundraising.
1977 – Donated $9,377 to develop architectural guidelines for the Town-Franklin area, a downtown neighborhood.
1977 – Gave $27,200 to the Hilltop Youth Advocacy Program.
1981 – Developed OWjL (a summer enrichment program for gifted and talented junior high students) in conjunction with Ohio Wesleyan University.
1983 – Provided a $15,000 grant to help to establish the Center for New Directions, a displaced homemaker program.
1985 – Produced Victorian Vignettes, a kid’s-eye view of Columbus’ past, to expand the Kelton House Museum’s education outreach program.
1987 – Gave $47,500 to the Center for New Directions for a Women and Widowhood program, targeting 24,000 area women.
1988 – Initiated P.A.R.T.Y. (Participate Actively in Reading Throughout the Year), a reading mentor program with Capital University.
1991 – Helped establish CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocates) through financial and volunteer support.
1992 – Supported construction of a childcare room at Make Room Columbus family shelter and began offering ongoing events.
1993 – Completed the Silent Witness Exhibit, a traveling memorial to women and children murdered through acts of domestic violence.
1996 – Began offering math tutoring and activities to middle school students enrolled in Ohio Dominican College’s Village to Child program.
1998 – Launched the JUMP! program, a leadership development program for middle school girls.
2000 – Collaborated with the Valerie Still Foundation to offer HOOPS! This basketball clinic and tournament promotes girls’ self-esteem as well as leadership and teamwork skills through sports and supportive adult interaction.
2000 – Started JUMP! into Service, a graduate program for JUMP! into Leadership participants, focusing on community service.
2000 – Launched the ABC Adopt-a-Backpack program.
2002– Opened the Underground Railroad Learning Station at the Kelton House Museum. Since its inception, over 7,500 school age children have visited the Learning Station.
2002– Donated $50,000 to the Center for Child and Family Advocacy. Junior League volunteers also provided childcare and over 2,000 busy bags for children visiting the Center, and assisted with the Kids in Court program.
2004– Partnered with the Educational Council’s LEADER Institute to create “Junior Leaders”, a leadership development program for 6th and 7th grade girls.
2006– Launched Kids in the Kitchen, a series of programs that focus on healthy eating and reducing childhood obesity.
2007– Approximately 3,700 children received backpacks from the Adopt A Backpack project.